If you have been exposed to asbestos and were diagnosed with mesothelioma, you have the option to file a mesothelioma and asbestos lawsuit. Most companies were aware for decades that the asbestos they used in their companies for a variety of manufacturing and industrial purposes could lead to serious health complications for employees.
But filing a mesothelioma and asbestos exposure lawsuit is complicated, and most companies will fight these claims aggressively. If you have mesothelioma and think a company or companies you worked for exposed you to asbestos, you should talk to only the best Illinois lawyers skilled in mesothelioma cases.
Top Illinois Mesothelioma Lawyers
Based on our research below are a number of best asbestos and mesothelioma and personal injury attorneys to consult in Illinois:
Cooney & Conway
120 N Lasalle St, #3000
Chicago IL 60602
Attorneys at Cooney & Conway have spent more than four decades representing the devastated victims of mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases. Attorneys at this law firm have argued on behalf of mesothelioma clients in many major cases, including:
- $35 million: A worker in Madison County IL was a roofer who worked on roofs on large tanks that contained asbestos shingles. The defending company was Shell Oil.
- $4 million: Johns Manville worker died from mesothelioma. His family received the amount in a wrongful death lawsuit despite the fact the company had declared bankruptcy.
- $3.5 million: An insulator died of mesothelioma, with case being tried in Cook County IL. The case settled just after the trial commenced.
Weitz & Luxenberg
New York NY 10003
A diagnosis for mesothelioma can be absolutely devastating given the huge medical costs, combined with the knowledge that the cancer probably could have been avoided. For law offices have the respect and experience of Weitz & Luxenberg in asbestos exposure cases. The firm has handled more than 30,000 asbestos lawsuits, taking an average of 500 such cases per year.
A major mesothelioma case involved a postal worker in Illinois who said that he developed the cancer from occupational asbestos exposure. The postman said that he suffered asbestos exposure when he was using various products during his work duties. The case eventually settled for $25 million.
Wylder Corwin Kelly LLP
207 E. Washington St. #102
Bloomington IL 61701
At Wylder Corwin Kelly LLP, the goal is to obtain the best possible justice for the victim in all types of personal injury lawsuits, including mesothelioma and asbestos exposure. If you or a loved one suffered mesothelioma after being exposed to the human carcinogen, reach out to us today. Recent verdicts include:
- $5 million mesothelioma verdict in McLean County, IL. The jury found in favor of the family of a union glazer who died from mesothelioma, with the decision going against defendant Tremco. The products containing asbestos was Tremco’s 440 tape and mono caulking
- $4.6 million mesothelioma verdict for worker who was exposed to asbestos in welding rods in Bloomington. The defendant on the case was Portable Elevator Company. Worker was exposed to Hobart Brothers Company 6010 stick welding electrodes.
- $3.1 million mesothelioma verdict in favor of estate of railroad worker exposed to asbestos at work. The lawsuit was against Illinois Central Railroad Company. The worker was employed in the company’s shops and railyard, with regular asbestos exposure in asbestos rope, insulation, brake and gaskets.
Levin & Perconti
325 N La Sale Dr. #450
The Chicago law firm of Levin & Perconti is a full service law firm that regularly handles mesothelioma and asbestos cancer lawsuits. Though the issues in an asbestos and mesothelioma case are complex, you always remember behind every lawsuit is a real human being who has suffered grave harm from asbestos exposure. Recent case settlements and verdicts in personal injury lawsuits include:
- $7.5 million for a Jones Act Settlement where the plaintiff suffered severe neck and spinal cord damage from a boat explosion.
- $5.7 million settlement for a roofer who suffered paralysis when he fell from a roof without being equipped with safety equipment.
- $6.5 million tractor trailer accident settlement where the client and his son were rear ended by a big rig.
GWC Injury Lawyers
360 Lexington Ave. 20th Floor
One E Wacker Drive, #3800
GWC Injury Lawyers work for you, the victim of mesothelioma or a related serious illness caused by asbestos exposure. Our success in securing high settlement and verdicts amounts means we have thousands of satisfied clients over more than 30 years of legal work. Some of the settlement and verdict results our law firm has obtained in personal injury cases include:
- $13,750,000 for a brain injury case where a construction worker was severely injured in a scaffolding collapse.
- $8,500,000 in a wrongful death lawsuit were a carpenter died after he was hit by a beam in a construction accident and wall collapse.
- $4,400,000 in a car accident wrongful death lawsuit were a tractor trailer slammed into the man’s vehicle head on.
Notable Mesothelioma Verdicts and Settlements In Illinois
There have been several large mesothelioma verdicts and settlements in recent times in Illinois. The largest include the following:
$250,000,000 Jury Award in Madison County, IL
In 2000, a jury in Madison County, IL found for the plaintiff in the amount of $250 million for a retired US Steel worker from Gary IN. The man was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2001. According to plaintiff’s attorney on the case, there was no doubt US Steel knew the risks of exposing workers to asbestos, but they did nothing to protect them. This was the largest asbestos verdict in the US for one plaintiff at the time.
$16,000,000 Jury Award in Madison County, IL
A 58 year-old man filed a mesothelioma lawsuit against the Owens Illinois Glass Company based in Alton. The worker operated a forklift for the business, and often cleaned up debris and piping that contained asbestos fibers in the 1960s and 1970s.
He contracted mesothelioma in the early 2000s. The defendant denied it had exposed the worker to asbestos, but the jury found otherwise and awarded his widow $16,000,000.
It is critical to speak to an experienced asbestos and mesothelioma attorney in Illinois as soon as you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or an asbestos-related condition by your doctor. The date of diagnosis will be well documented in evidence that is presented in court. If you do not meet the relevant Illinois statute of limitations – sometimes as short as one year from the date of diagnosis – you could be forever barred from obtaining payouts from asbestos trust funds for your injuries.
- Looking at Asbestos Litigation Verdicts. (2016). Retreived from https://www.kcic.com/trending/feed/looking-at-asbestos-litigation-verdict-trends/